Monday, December 2, 2013

Rest & Relaxation


One tends to forgot what a comfort the home is until they leave it.

The joy in first seeing LunaMara palace, as we crested the hill entering Estrillo, was full and heartfelt inside me. I did not know how much I had missed it until we returned home.
Since I had been away I had longed for it's warm fireplaces, it's cold stone walls and marble floors, and everything surrounding it.

But mostly I longed for my own bed, to be able to sleep on something more comfortable than the hard portable beds used for traveling.
From the time the war begun I had lost an enormous amount of sleep, laboring over tactics and strategies for hours on end and issuing orders and commands to the men; and then there was the battle.

It left me sapped of all strength, and the many hits to my shield left my arm severely bruised and swollen.
My ever so loyal lady-in-waiting, Meredith, saw my lifeless condition when we returned to the camp in victory and at once took control, seeing that I had sustenance and then rest and no disturbances for the duration of the journey home.

My body craved sleep and my eyes could not be held open any longer but sound slumber was not to be found, and I only dozed intermittently on the rough roads leading to Krespania.

Once we arrived at the palace I ordered a hot bath and then retired to my bed, where I collapsed, mentally and physically drained from the past ordeal.
I slept through a whole day before I awoke next and it was many days before I was completely rested.

But when I was recovered enough to bear some news I learned from Meredith that my dear friends, the King and Queen of Asram had arrived while I was away. Having been traveling near Krespania, they had decided to visit me but found I had gone to war therefore they chose to wait until my arrival home.

This was welcoming news to me. King Brinsley and Queen Acora had been close to my family for years being Agmar's neighbor and allies, and their visit shed some cheer upon my depressed countenance.

Between Meredith and Acora, who was just as concerned about my health as my lady-in-waiting, I could not make a move as they demanded I remain in bed and rest, much to my frustration. But with such intensive attendance I was back on my feet in a matter of days and my spirit is much rejuvenated now.
I do not deserve their pampering yet I am exceedingly grateful to them for being with me and helping me through it all, and without them I likely would not have recovered so speedily.
They are such a comfort.

I need to close now. I promised Meredith I would not spend too long writing and tax myself in the process.

Until later...

-Emerald de Gavrillac
 Queen of Krespania

No comments:

Post a Comment