Tuesday, July 14, 2015

The Fist of Mortality


We gained the harbor of Uelar as swiftly as the wind permitted, and with the assistance of horses, arrived at the castle in the manner of a torrential tempest.
Their legs were not spared as neither the sails of my beloved vessel, The Golden Dawn, were in voyaging here.

Once inside the dim, musty yet familiar stronghold that I had called home for so many years, I sought where they had laid the king of Isoloyia in his weakened state.
I followed the servant to the imposing wood doors that lead to a guest chamber, and for the first time in almost a week I paused and my heart ceased it's gallop.

For many had been the images I had drawn up of the scene behind those closed doors, the last being the worst of them all.
Hyndralad de Gundalia was rapidly failing from the poison inside him, and since the remedy had not been produced it was inevitable that he should decline in health to a frightening degree.
I hesitated because I feared what I would see.

“Courage.” I murmured to myself or rather prayed for and took hold of the door handle.
The portal slid open noiselessly, and I stepped in.
Heavy, dark drapes covered all windows and blocked any light from entering.
A few candles burned, creating a haze in the stagnant air and curious shadows on the walls and ceiling.

And if the smoke was not enough to suffocate me the silence that overshadowed the chamber was.
Passing the two guards I approached the Vez-Dûn physician standing by his king's bed.
“How is his condition?”
The physician gave a shake of the head.
“Is the king sleeping?”
I now looked closely at the man in the bed who's eyelids were shut and appearance as pale and waxy as the candles lighting the room.
Hyndralad's expression was marked with pain that should not accompany restful slumber.
Before he could respond the eyelids flickered open, and the pupils that once were burning gold now gazed at me in a dull bronze shade.

“The queen of Krespania in Agmar?”
I forced a smile and a cheeriness that had not occupied my demeanor for a while.
“I heard you were ill and came to see if I could help your recovery in any way.”
“I am not...worthy of such.. a service from Your Majesty; You should not spend your time in vain.” His voice was faint and slow, and I was struck by the difference in the Isoloyian king.
Once strong now weak, once dominating now dependent on others, once prideful and now humbled.
It would be more becoming if it did not serve as a painful reminder of his precarious position.

I laid a hand over his in a comforting gesture.
“We always take care of our friends.”
Hyndralad's mouth stretched into a slight smile, and he closed his eyes again.
My heart squeezed fearfully as I watched his chest rise and fall in shallow breaths before departing the room.
The meeting did not leave me hopeful but more depressed and determined to return to searching.

I found the books already delivered to the Agmar library and Lennox and Adam Saft, his steward, by a table mounted high with scrolls and volumes of all sizes.
With the situation as it were the subject of our cousin evaded my mind, and after a short introduction with my brother, who looked as haggard and exhausted as I felt, we begun our search together.

Two whole days we pored over books until our backs ached, our eyes blurred and our fingers were worn down.
Adam Saft, Countess Meredith de Barra and several of Lennox's servants took part with as much vigor as their rulers put forth.
It was the second day at noon, and we were on all sides of the table when a servant called out tentatively, “Your Imperial Majesty, could this be it?”
All heads jerked to face the man, and I followed Lennox as he raced around the table.

“The symptoms are the same...” He scrutinized the page closely.
“And the solution?”
“Saltwater.”
Saltwater? Could this be true?
Saltwater! They had sailed with the victim for weeks on the very thing that could save him.
“It says to immerse the wounded in it and the poison will relinquish it's hold.”

I cringed at the thought of pouring saltwater on any cut or gash; The pain would be excruciating.
“But he cannot survive that – he is already too weak!”
“Either we try this where there is a chance of his survival or we leave him to die by the slow poisoning.”
“But what if the remedy is not the correct one?”
Lennox's face was grim. “I do not see any alternative.”

Nor could I, and I gave my consent for what could be Hyndralad's death sentence.
The command to bring buckets of saltwater from the harbor was put into action, and the servants scurried to the soundless rhythm of urgency.

As for me, I collapsed instantly in a chair along with Meredith and some of the others, too tired to move or speak.
And that brings us to this very moment, a few hours later.
I found the anxiety too much, and after relaxing some, have decided to write this account only to keep my mind from idle musings.

I hope we shall see results soon, and I pray they are favorable…


-Emerald de Gavrillac
  Queen of Krespania

No comments:

Post a Comment