Wednesday, July 1, 2015

The Failed Efforts of a Lady-In-Waiting


We make haste for Uelar, the kingdom of Agmar.

When first my lady, Queen Emerald, received the news from her brother regarding the dreadful attack on King Hyndralad, she immediately issued orders for her captain alerted and her ship made ready to sail as soon as possible. Now we are nearly a week out to sea and she has hardly come out of her cabin where she sits poring over the many books of medicine she had brought from the palace library. Though I know little of the evil astrologers and their methods I have heard that an antidote for the poisons they use is nearly unattainable. I fear the long life of the Vez-Dûn king may come to a rather dreadful end. But we shall not give up hope! Our Lord is able to do exceedingly more.

And yet, as heartless as it may sound, I worry most over my Queen. The manner in which she is taking this situation causes me to be most anxious over her wellbeing, both physically and emotionally. She is tireless in her search for an antidote, working all day long and even into the night. When she rises from sleep in the morning it is customary for me, Lady Meredith de Barra, her most trusted lady-in-waiting, to adorn her hair in some manner befitting a person of her high station. Only now she won't endure it. I urge her often to rest, insisting on the necessity of keeping up her strength but she will do as she wishes. The one thing she requires is a plentiful supply of strong Jomacha.

To be perfectly honest, the Vez-Dûn king hardly deserves my lady's good opinion after the cool reception we received when visiting Isoloyia. I believe at that time I made my own opinion of the conceited man very clear to her Highness. Although I must admit, he was most civil when he visited Krespania not long ago. It is this I must say for my Queen, and her brother as well, – they are intense people. When they love, they love completely. When they are sorrowful, depressed or worried, their people feel it keenly. And when they hate, it is fearsome indeed. At the same time, they can be very light-hearted and compassionate, causing them to be dearly loved by their subjects and admired by surrounding kingdoms. So even though in my eyes King Hyndralad is undeserving of their devotion, they know how to care for their friends, be they new friends or old.

In the meantime, I have little to do but wait. On other voyages my lady and I greatly enjoy the roaring of the sea and splashing of the waves. Every morning we would walk about the ship taking in the sunshine and stretching our legs. At times, on days when the going was particularly slow, we might play a game of badminton or some other such game, and at supper, we always dined with the Captain and other members of the court that accompanied us. A life on the sea can be hard and brutal, I know, but I cannot deny the pleasure I find in such trips. Alas that this voyage should be so dampened. My lady could use a holiday.

Instead I sit here alone in my own cabin adjacent to the Queen's, waiting for when I can be of assistance. The waves crash on deck and I hear the snapping and shuddering of the rigging as it harnesses the wind. Her Highness has urged the captain to spare no sail but I know she is unaware of the concern in his eyes over the great speed she asks. Still, I have faith in the experienced Captain's abilities, as does the Queen; we can rest assured of our safe, albeit hasty, arrival.

And so I shall leave you, dear readers, for now, as it is time to serve my lady her lunch and beg her once more to rest before she collapses from exhaustion. I pray the next entry will bring happier news.

With deepest sincerity,
Lady Meredith de Barra

(Blog Post Courtesy of Amy Molloy)
(http://overthehorizon-goldensails.blogspot.com/)

No comments:

Post a Comment